The Building Department is charged with enforcing minimum building code requirements within American Fork City. By adhering to these standards, we are safeguarding the health and safety of the residents of American Fork and the general public.
American Fork City Building Department is staffed with committed, professional employees who are working to ensure that all construction within our City conforms to building code requirements.
By performing thorough inspections, we are helping to protect you and your most valuable investment - your home.
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE CLICKING THE LINK BELOW. THE FOLLOWING PROJECTS REQUIRE A ZONING CLEARANCE: COMMERCIAL TENANT FINISH, COMMERCIAL REMODEL, ADDITIONS, ACCESSORY STRUCTURES AND ACCESSORY APARTMENTS. TO RECEIVE A ZONING CLEARANCE LETTER, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
1. COMPLETE ZONING CLEARANCE LETTER APPLICATION. ZONING CLEARANCE APPLICATION
2. SUBMIT APPLICATION TO APPLICATIONS@AMERICANFORK.GOV
3. WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE ZONING CLEARANCE LETTER FROM THE PLANNING AND ZONING DEPARTMENT, YOU MAY BEGIN THE BUILDING PERMIT PROCESS.
Beginning July 1, 2023, the American Fork Building Department will be using the 2021 IBC and IRC Code as adopted by the State of Utah
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to know to add to my home, finish a basement, build a fence, or learn more about setbacks? See the Building Department Checklists.
- Where do I learn more about basement/accessory apartments? See code 17.5.134 - Accessory apartments.
- What do I need to know to develop a subdivision, a new commercial project, or a new industrial project? See the Development Review Process.
- How do I apply for a business license? See the Business License & Renewal process.
- Why do I need a building permit?
- When is a building permit required?
- What do building permits cost?
- Can I draw the plans myself?
- Who is responsible for obtaining a permit?
- Can I get a permit for just the footing / foundation prior to getting a permit for the main structure?
- What comes with the permit?
- How do I schedule inspections?